Lost Sock Creations

Lost Sock Creations
what it's all about...

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Nature Creatures inspired by Giuseppe Arcimboldo

I teach a collage lesson every year with my 6th graders. It introduces them to the artist Giuseppe Arcimboldo (1527-1593) . I like how he was from the 16th century, but so ahead of his time. He was whimsical when every other artist was stiff. He was a Picasso before they were ready, willing to have fun and adventure with his art. He used painted natural objects in portraits of people (like using strawberries for eyes and pea pods for teeth on a pumpkin head). 











My kids took magazines and hunted for natural items they could arrange to organize a creature. The fun part about my job (SSSShhhhh! don't tell...) is that I sit right along with them and do the same assignment. Since this is one of my favorites, i did a few. 
Click the link below to see the students examples as well. 
Go ahead and grab some magazines and make your own too.
But I must warn you, don't do it on an empty stomach.

another of mine...

another...

another of mine...
ONe of my 6th graders this year did the above one...











http://classroom.mineolaisd.net/webs/seatont/nature_creatures.htm